Category Archives: Gleeding

Well, two.. actually.

Did some *amazing* acting for Gareth’s project on Sunday and a little filming when his acting efforts were required.

But in another collaboration I’m working with Barry Pace on his project Greens at Twenty After, a interactive short that explores a new format of film he has conceptualised.

He’s recently been to Cornwall to work with some recording artists for an original score for the piece. Tonight we were digitally captured the recordings from an old 4-track mixer that he can now send on to his sound engineer who’ll mix down the final audio for the film.

My main contribution though will be developing a platform for the project’s delivery. As important as the film itself are Barry’s ideas regarding the whole philosophy of platforms of interactive narrative, their commercial exploitability and success – this was in part the focus of his dissertation. Essentially he intends that more films could ultimately be created for a platform specific to interactive films such as his, that utilise high-speed bandwidth in a currently unexplored way.

My job then is to seemingly connect an offline application seamlessly to texts primarily stored online, unobtrusively, to blur the (present) very apparent boundaries between film, online texts, even games, creating the opportunity to enable a convergence of functionality and hopefully, success.

Gareth’s problem is sorted.

My last post shelled out the issues we were having with calling functions local to Director from embedded .swf cast members using Actionscript. With much trial and error attaching Lingo to various places within the .dir file – to the .swf cast member on the stage, the stage itself, the frame etc. – the problem actually seemed to be with the type of script handling the functions.

My Lingo lingo isn’t perfect so excuse any wrong terms in this explanation but essentially it seems assigning scripts to those mentioned places are then attached sprite behaviours, determining self-contained intrinsic actions. I got the function calling to work by storing very basic actions in a stand-alone cast member, unattached to stage, frame, .swf etc. The cast then recognises this as a movie script – obviously there’s some difference in the way Director executes them, but it seems to do the trick either way.

Gareth is pretty pleased with the results, I’ve left him with finding the equivalent method of sending asset-specific parameters to the functions to interpret them in different ways. This means Director can store sets of functions by class – sets for handling button, people, variables, movies and so on, hopefully condensing the amount of code transferring both ways and being ultimately performed at runtime.

One of my collaborations is with Gareth Leeding, who’s working on a multi-screen interactive game based on Orwellian totalitarian ideas and voyeurism, he’s called it ‘Start the Surveillance’.

I’ve been called in to do some design and Flash dev, lately trying recall my Lingo skills from last year’s 3D Shockwave project to establish a smooth communication between Actionscript and Director so to use Flash-based interactivity with Director’s better video support across a stage large enough to cross the desired five screens.

After much trial and error Gareth found the basic principle for sending Lingo via Actionscript was to use the getURL action. Usually in Flash it’s used to send Web addresses to the browser. Essentially what it does seems to be instead of talking to the actual browser, it sends the URL parameter to its _parent container – which generally is a browser. When it’s used in a .swf, embedded within a Director file, that .dir is then the parent so that receives the data. This data can be passed Lingo. For example:

function initDir() {
getURL(“lingo: go to the frame”);
}

So we’ve then experimented in different ways to send more actions, finding a few problems with multi-line commands, whether sending multiple URL parameters:

function initDir() {
getURL(“lingo: go to the frame”);
getURL(“lingo: myVar = 10”);
}

or sending multiple line strings with the special expressions:

function initDir() {
getURL(“lingo: go to the frame \n myVar = 10”);
// the expression “\n” calls a new line
}

Neither worked as intended so I started experimenting with other methods, then realising the most efficient and probably most straightforward way is actually to use the embedded Actionscript to call local Director functions. This way Director can then handle not only large volumes of functions, each of multiple lines, but the entire script can be written as a single cast member and accessible throughout the whole project – not needing to call variables or functions from Flash at various points so it can do all the calculations etc. locally as well. Not entirely sure why we didn’t think of that earlier.. hmm.

With a little help from Doug the code is seemingly as easy as:

function initDir() {
getURL(“lingo: myDirFunction”);
}

calling myDirFunction() in the .dir – seemingly that easy – it’s still not working. :(

We’ve had a word with Mark who thinks it may be some version issues. We’ll keep at it, if this gets nailed Gareth is away.

Dance just like a Casanova.